The Black Sea Energy Research Centre is an association of energy experts founded in 2007, as a successor of the Black Sea Regional Energy Centre, established in 1995 at the initiative of the European Commission and the countries of the Black Sea Region. BSERC was registered in Sofia according to the Bulgarian national legislation.
The Centre's activities aim at developing the co-operation between the Black Sea region countries and the European Union in the field of energy and climate change mitigation. This is achieved through a close partnership with all the Black Sea countries, allowing to be well informed about the countries' national trends and developments. Apart from its international activities BSERC is actively involved in the Bulgarian energy issues, thus cting as a Bulgarian energy society.
BSERC’s main fields of operation include:
- Harmonization of the energy legislation of the Black Sea Region countries with the EU legislation, including socio-economic and environmental assessment of policies, etc;
- Security of energy supply - diversification of power generation and gas supply, enhancement of the interconnection of electricity grids;
- Electricity and gas internal market, liberalization, pricing and tariffs;
- Energy efficiency, rational use of energy, promotion of energy services;
- Renewable energy;
- Climate change mitigation policy;
- Financing sources and schemes – national and EU funds, fiscal measures, etc.
The research and dissemination activities carried out by the Centre relating to the above fields include:
- collection and analysis of data at national, local, and company level;
- development and application of models, elaboration of forecasts and scenarios;
- cost-benefit analyses of policies and feasibility studies of energy projects;
- networking of policy and market actors in the Black Sea Region countries;
- drafting of legislative documents;
- technology transfer;
- training and dissemination of information.
The organization's project record includes more than 60 projects, funded under various EC programmes: territorial cooperation programmes, Framework programmes for RTD (FP5, FP6, FP7), Intelligent Energy – Europe (EIE), Horizon 2020, and others. Additionally, BSERC has worked on initiatives, funded by USAID, the World Bank, CIDA - Canada, EBRD, and the Bulgarian Government.